|Publisher||Alfred A. Knopf|
|January 28, 2014|
Composition and writing
Though not purely autobiographical, the novel draws from Offills life. Offill has said Dept. of Speculation [...] came from the ashes of another book. Dept. of Speculation eschews a typical plot, which Offill has said was deliberate.
According to literary review aggregator Book Marks, the book received mostly Rave and reviews, with some less positive reception. The novel has been compared to Renata Adlers 1976 book Speedboat. In her review of the book, published by NPR, Meg Wolitzer praised the novel as [...] intriguing, beautifully written, sly and often profound. Wolitzer also praised the novels humor.
Offill has said she did not anticipate the books success.
- ^ a b In Fragments Of A Marriage, Familiar Themes Get Experimental. NPR. 26 January 2014. Retrieved 7 January 2021.
- ^ Pieknik, Matt (31 March 2014). How Much Could Be Left Unsaid: An Interview with Jenny Offill. The Paris Review. The Paris Review. Retrieved 7 January 2021.
- ^ Dept. of Speculation. Literary Hub. Literary Hub. Retrieved 7 January 2021.
- ^ Wood, James (24 March 2014). Mother Courage. The New Yorker. The New Yorker. Retrieved 7 January 2021.
- ^ Gay, Roxane (7 February 2014). Bridled Vows (Published 2014). The New York Times. The New York Times. Retrieved 6 January 2021.
- ^ a b Wolitzer, Meg (23 January 2014). Speculation Shows Good Stories Come In Small Packages, Too. NPR.org. NPR. Retrieved 7 January 2021.
- ^ Haas, Lidija (28 February 2015). Jenny Offill: life after Dept. of Speculation – the underdog personas not going to fly any more. the Guardian. The Guardian. Retrieved 7 January 2021.
- ^ Announcing The 2015 PEN/Faulkner Award for Fiction Winner | The PEN/Faulkner Foundation. PEN/Faulkner Foundation. Retrieved 7 January 2021.
- ^ Piepenbring, Dan (9 February 2015). The 2015 Folio Prize Shortlist. The Paris Review. The Paris Review. Retrieved 7 January 2021.
- ^ The 10 Best Books of 2014 (Published 2014). The New York Times. The New York Times. 4 December 2014. Retrieved 7 January 2021.
- ^ Tyler, J.A. (22 July 2021). Ferocious and Violent: The Millions Interviews Rachel Yoder. The Millions. Retrieved 30 August 2021.
Tell us about you
Find us at the office
Kajioka- Constanza street no. 39, 50889 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Give us a ring
+59 850 269 756
Mon - Fri, 10:00-14:00